Reflections on a day back in the classroom!

Atlantic Sunrise Desktop Image

On Friday I was lucky since I had the opportunity to get back in the classroom as a substitute teacher for the entire day! As an administrator I visit classrooms every week, in fact this year I have already logged more than 100 individual classroom visits, some lasting a few minutes and others lasting a few hours.  I recently had a chance to participate in middle school First Amendment debates all day, and on Friday I was a substitute teacher all day for students in grades K, 1, and 2! Nothing compares, though, to being the substitute teacher all day in relation to “walking in another’s shoes”. There are many ways administrators can learn about the thoughts, feelings, needs, and experiences of teachers, but literally getting back into the trenches as a teacher is one of many highly effective methods we have in our district. This year each member of the administrative team was in a “raffle” to serve as a substitute for interested employees in the school district.  I was selected by an elementary school teacher who teaches students in grades K-2.

To say that I am proud of the teacher for whom I subbed is an understatement. Her lesson plans were among the best I have ever seen, her organization is phenomenal, her team of educational support personnel is outstanding! I think everyone might have given me extra special treatment due to my official position, but at the end of the day (literally and figuratively) I was the teacher and the experiences were awesome. Like the students, I too learned a lot on Friday!

The students behaved beautifully and eagerly learned and went from task to task. I was told that from time to time these students have challenging or even bad days and sometimes they can give members of the team challenges, but on Friday, they were all about learning, doing, being. The students were kind, attentive, helpful, focused, and quite busy. The teachers plans, about which I describe as well organized, helped guide me in math, language arts, computer work, snack time, motor time, etc.

Each of the students on the teacher’s caseload have individualized plans and individualized schedules. The teacher plans with the other certified specialists (speech language pathologist, social worker, psychologist, etc.) to integrate with the students during their daily work. The students work with one another academically, socially, emotionally, and creatively throughout the many subjects, transitions, etc. I was charged with teaching English, reading, math, social skills, technology usage, listening, writing, etc. I was busy pretty much every minute of the day and the students were quite ready for the routine and quite comfortable with the predictive nature of their days.

So often I have to make decisions that affect many people. The best of those decisions are made when I can get collaborative input from those most impacted by the decisions. Having the opportunity to substitute teach yesterday gave me a real life view point from teachers, teacher assistants, social worker, psychologist, speech language pathologist, assistant principal, and others! Being present all day, being in the trenches so to speak, truly helps me “walk a mile in their shoes”. I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to serve as a substitute teacher. I am so grateful to the teacher and the educational team members for their amazing support and work on a daily basis on behalf of the kids; and I am so grateful to the parents of the students for their input, communication, support, and partnership in support of the education of their children!

It truly takes a village to raise a child and I am so happy to be part of this village!

One thought on “Reflections on a day back in the classroom!

1. Mike, I am so glad you were able to spend the day at our school, and that you found it to be a rewarding experience. We are very proud of our special program, and all of the staff members with whom you worked are true professionals in every sense of the word. I am thrilled that you were able to see first hand the good work they do for children every single day.
    Come visit anytime!!
    Dave