Review of new middle school exploratories

Next year, as a result of the comprehensive work of the Superintendent’s Task Force for Middle Level Education some major curriculum changes were approved for the middle schools. Next year every 6th, 7th, and 8th grade student will be engaged in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) coursework as well as CMA (Communication Media Arts coursework.

In this “review” blog post, I’m sharing videos showing CMA and STEM descriptions for a visual view of the learning experiences. I am also sharing links to the Task Force Web Site for review. The family and consumer sciences (skills for life) courses will become Communication Media Arts and the computer apps course will become STEM. Construction begins this summer at both middle schools for reconfiguration of learning spaces to account for the new learning, enhanced technology, and advanced skills and applications. Our focus on STEM and CMA relate to the “BIG 5” as well as the Four R’s (Rigor, Relevance, Relationships and Results).

CMA Lab Video:

STEM Lab Video linked at this site

Example from August 2013

2 thoughts on “Review of new middle school exploratories

1. What a fantastic way to have students engaged in learning! I see so many possibilities to differentiate this instruction.