March Notes – From Staff Newsletter – #Engage109

“Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture the heart. ”
– Ancient Indian Proverb

Each month we share a newsletter for staff and I open it with some news, views, and information. I’m sharing an excerpt of my portion in the blog today:

As we approach spring it’s exciting to think about how fantastic it is to work in District 109 – and I’ve recently done some really fun work that has allowed me to see, firsthand, the sharing of learning and teaching across the district. In December, I shadowed a 4th grade South-Parkstudent in Samantha Johnson’s class at Walden, and in February, I was honored to teach Emily Wallace’s first graders at South Park as my “Presence is Present” gift. I loved being a teacher again – and I think the students were happy to have me; at least their notes expressed their appreciation! Across the nation there is a movement and news called “Shadow a Student Day” – I’m thrilled to be part of this in Deerfield. I’m so proud of my administrative colleagues who are also shadowing students, substitute teaching, and walking a mile in the shoes of employees!

bad59220-e2f2-4066-93db-3ae2f394b2b6We like to share the great things that are happening in our schools with other educational professionals worldwide.

Many of you use #engage109 and your school hashtags to share your stories with the Twitter world. It’s fun to see the photos and stories scrolling on the District home page, and the school pages! Many of our administrators also write articles and present at conferences about our schools and our work.  I’m proud to share an article that Greg Himebaugh and I wrote for UPDATE magazine, a publication of the Illinois Association of School Business Officials. The article shares how we’ve managed change in District 109 for the benefit of our schools, our students, and our community. Next week, Caruso will host the Illinois Association of School Boards Lake County Division Dinner; board members, superintendents and other educational professionals from all over the county will come for tours of Caruso’s science, STEM and CMA labs, and will hear from District 109 band, orchestra and chorus students. It will be a full-STEAM evening! Thanks to the staff members who are helping us show off!

As I mention often, this is one source of what’s happening in District 109; you can get more information from Board Briefs, found on the Board of Education Meeting Information page of the website, and feel free to check my blog for periodic postings about leadership, education, and District news.

Thank you for continuing your excellence and dedication to the students in the District and for your efforts to engage, inspire, and empower students, families, the community, and each other every day.