School Funding in IL – A work in progress

“The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
– Mahatma Gandhi

imagesFrom time to time I share information and news regarding the public education funding structure in Illinois.

From Article X of the Illinois Constitution:
"...The State has the primary responsibility for financing
the system of public education."
Despite the Constitutional statement that the State has the primary responsibility for funding the schools, Illinois actually has a bad funding model at present. In my district the state funding accounts for less than 5% of the budget. In fact, the local property tax revenue provides more than 90% of funding with the rest coming from federal sources. So where you live determines the quality of the schools or/and the financial solvency of the schools. Currently zip code/location determines public financial support for education. The state funding model is currently not equitable nor is it adequate for state supported public education funding.

The state offers a law that would allow Counties to set a 1% sales tax thachangeimaget could support infrastructure and construction costs. This sales tax would apply in a fair and equitable manner across the county – it’s in place in many areas in Illinois, unfortunately it’s not yet in place in Lake County.

Earlier this year, in August, I posted a video and links related to the Illinois Vision 20/20 initiative (see excerpts):

I have written about the Illinois Vision 20/20 initiative over the past few years in an effort to share policy information and proposed legislation that will benefit Illinois public schools and Illinois public school children. What I like about the initiative is that it is “for” as opposed to “against”, and the issues are relevant, timely and meaningful. The vision involves support for highly effective educators, 21st Century learning, shared accountability, and equitable and adequate funding.

For links to previous blog posts, click: A little bit more about Illinois Vision 20/20, and Taking a Stand for Public Education-Illinois Vision 20/20

A hot topic is school finance and the Illinois Vision 20/20 team has produced a video about the funding model supported and proposed by the coalition.

vision2020This year the Governor has commissioned a task force to look at and improve (I hope) the funding model for Illinois public education from the current bad model to an evidence based Adequacy/Equity model. “The commission will have a goal of presenting funding reform recommendations by February 1, 2017, in order to draft legislation for the spring session to take effect for Fiscal Year 2018.” (source linked above)

In addition to the Vision 20/20 video, I’m sharing a news clip on this same subject From Chicago Tonight – WTTW television (PBS in Chicago)

All citizens of Illinois should be educated and informed about civics, structures that support the public, education funding, and legislation (in my opinion). Since there are so many rules, regulations and complexities involved with school funding, it’s a moral and civic imperative, I believe, for the citizens of our state to know and understand the what, how, why, and where of this impactful topic.

CScRi5IWsAAIIv8