Professional Sharing – The #Engage109 Story – National Reach – Lead, Learn, UNLEARN, and re-learn

“Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier.”
– Mother Teresa

As part of my work as a superintendent of schools, I have the honor of sharing the powerful impact of our work and our world with the nation and world. As a student of EdTech and of leadership, I seek friends and contacts in the context of continual improvement. That which I can learn and apply in my community comes from many sources. That which makes education better for our local setting come from engagement and learning from leaders around the nation and world.

With this blog post I’m sharing a “guest post” I wrote for the EdTechTeam relating to a recent professional experience in which I contributed. The Engage, Inspire, Empower mantra from our district is now on the national stage! How we make the world of public education better and more relevant is now part of the leadership and EdTechTeam tapestry!

Thursday, March 16, 2017

EdTechTeam Leadership Symposium Ohio

On March 10, 2017, at Avon Lake High School in Avon Lake, OH nearly 100 educational leaders gathered for a day of learning, discovery, exploration, reflection and energy. With a leadership conference for leaders with and by leaders, the excitement and anticipation was palpable. I had the honor of presenting three times, two one hour break-out sessions and the keynote presentation. Together with some rock star edu-leaders, I was able to carry out the high calling of inspiring and empowering leaders!

From EdTechTeam: “The EdTechTeam Leadership Symposium is designed with the leader in mind. Our one-day event will energize, encourage, and inspire you as you confront the unique challenges of guiding a school or district into tomorrow.”

As a member of the presenter team I had the good fortune and honor of helping set the tone and the pace for discovery, discussion, dialogue and discourse with respect to provocative and replicable leadership tips, tricks, and ideas. The sharing of real stories impacting real educators and educational leaders across the nation helps to inspire change and those charged with leading change. I was affirmed by the comments, questions, interests, and post-session commentary. The keynote experience was pretty cool because I got a chance to highlight the great work of my teammates and Board and students and teachers. The opportunity to teach others, for an educational leader, is pretty awesome because it brings us back to our roots so to speak.

The EdTechTeam Leadership Symposia are going to become part of the leadership landscape all across the USA and the world. The EdTechTeam is celebrating ten years of inspiring and empowering teaching and leading in the ed tech landscape; I’m thrilled they are taking their successful progressive approaches into the leaders world too. Leaders who get the chance to be focused on their own growth for an action packed day of learning are better leaders.

Leaders who get the chance to select in what workshops and breakout sessions they can engage are leaders who experience personalized professional learning first hand – these are leaders who can replicate the experiences for their teachers and staff! The EdTechTeam is a “pay it forward” organization in which I am honored, privileged, and humbled to be a part of! I cannot wait for the next symposium. Please visit https://www.edtechteam.com/ for more information!

Information about me for your review, information, etc.

Michael Lubelfeld Ed.D. has served as a public school superintendent in suburban Chicago, Illinois since 2010. On July 1, 2013, he became the superintendent of schools in Deerfield, IL (DPS 109). His 25-year educational career has included serving as an assistant superintendent, a principal, and middle school teacher. In addition, he has worked as an adjunct professor, advisor, and supervisor at Chicago-area Universities in the Department of Educational Leadership. Earning his doctorate in education in curriculum and instruction allowed Lubelfeld to test theories of learning in action. He was named one of the top 5 Bammy Superintendent Finalists in 2015, he is an advocate for Illinois Vision 20/20, he was honored as one of three finalists for the 2015 NASS (National Association of School Superintendents) superintendent of the year award. Mike is an advocate for integrating educational technology throughout instruction. He is the co-moderator of the Twitter chat #suptchat with Nick Polyak, and he and Polyak co-authored the book The Unlearning Leader: Leading for Tomorrow’s Schools Today (Rowman-Littlefield Publishers 2017).