About the Superintendent

Michael Lubelfeld Ed.D. served as the superintendent at Pennoyer School District #79 in Norridge, Illinois for several years, and on July 1, 2013, he became the superintendent of schools in Deerfield, IL (DPS 109). In addition, he has worked as an adjunct professor, advisor, and supervisor at Chicago-area Universities in the Department of Educational Leadership. A public school educator and educational leader for more than 20 years, Lubelfeld has served as an assistant superintendent, a middle school associate principal, a principal, and a middle school teacher, teaching social studies, reading, and civics. Earning his doctorate in education in curriculum and instruction allowed Lubelfeld to test theories of learning in action. In 2015 he was named one of the top 5 Bammy Superintendent Finalists, he is a fierce advocate for Illinois Vision 20/20. In addition, Lubelfeld was honored as one of the three finalists for 2015 NASS (National Association of School Superintendents) superintendent of the year, he is a leader of Humanex Ventures hiring for teacher quality, and he is a co-moderator of #suptchat the first Wednesday of every month at 7PM (with Nick Polyak of Leyden High School District)

6 thoughts on “About the Superintendent

1. Mr. Lubelfeld,
    I wanted to congratulate you on your position as superintendent. I was one of your first 8th grade students in Bensenville at Blackhawk back in the early 90’s. I had you for Social Studies and You and the Law class. You were such a great teacher and having you as a teacher had made such a great impact, even all of these years later. I have rarely found a teacher since then that had the same passion for what they did and cared about each student as a person as you did. The children in your district are very lucky. I wish you all the best. – Melissa

• Melissa,
      I want to thank you so much for taking the time to write and share such kind words with me on the blog!! I always look fondly on my awesome years at Blackhawk and I am so grateful for the wonderful kids like you with whom I got to work.
      Thank you for your thoughtfulness, it means a lot to me!!
      ML

2. Hey Mike – just happened to come across the information on your current position in Deerfield. Just wanted to say congratulations and good luck to you & your family. You were always an outstanding educator no matter the role – keep up the great work! Down the road is retirement and that’s pretty cool too. Best wishes – Bob Sedik

• HI Bob,
      Thank you so much for your really nice comments!! My very best to you and yours.
      If you are ever in the neighborhood – feel free to stop by.
      I always have held you and your outstanding work in high regard!
      ML